Lewis Byington Ford was born in Downieville, California on November 1, 1890. Click here to see a Wikipedia article about Byington Ford.

Important Facts
 November 1, 1890 Born in Downieville, Sierra County, California. Byington was the son of Tirey L. Ford, a former California state senator and attorney general who also authored Dawn of the Dons, a history of the Monterey Peninsula.

Byington Ford
1892 By's parents moved to San Francisco, California.
June 8, 1900 The US Census lists and F. L. Ford (42), Emma (37) Mary R. (11) and Byington (9) living in San Francisco, California. Source: US Federal Census.
1906 He was living on Haight Street in San Francisco during the great 1906 earthquake.
August 3, 1907 While going to the Jesuit Santa Clara College, there was an ariticle that both the Prosecutor (Francis J. Henry) in the trial and Tirey L. Ford had sons going to Santa Clara College. It said that both men have been members of the junior debating sciety at Santa Clara. Ford was very popular in college and was praised for his acting in the Passion Play. He was elected president of the debating society. Source: San Francisco Daily Times, page 17.
1907 Byington Ford was pictured along with the 1907 Santa Clara Junior Baseball Team. Source: Scrapbook created by Byington Ford.

Byington Ford as a young boy
December 4, 1907 His father won a trial for bribery. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 2.
1909 Byington Ford was pictured along with the 1909 Santa Clara Baseball Team. Source: Scrapbook created by Byington Ford.
June 22, 1910 At age 19, Ford graduated from the Santa Clara College with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He gave a speech about 'Higher Education and Religion'. Source: Santa Clara College Alumni Association; San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 2.
April 30, 1910 Tirey Ford (52), is listed in the 1910 US Census along with his wife Emma B. (47), Relda F (27), Byington (19), Tirey L. Jr. (12). Source:1910 U.S. Census for Maple Street, San Francisco, California, Series: T624 Roll: 100 Page: 85.
November 24, 1911 Ford was one of the officers elected to head the Berkeley State University permanent athletic organization. He was listed as treasurer. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 8.
November 30, 1911 Byington Ford was mentioned in an article in the San Francisco Call regarding the California Pelican, a University of California, Berkeley humor magazine. He contributed a drawing occupying a page in the magazine. Source: San Francisco Call, Volume 110, Number 183.
October 09, 1912 Byington Ford was mentioned as one of the men who was still on the varsity football squad at the University of California, Berkeley. Source: The San Francisco call., Page 12.
  Ford played varsity baseball at U.C. Berkeley while earning his degree. Source: Carmel Pine Cone.
1912 Ford graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, where he earned his degree of Master of Arts (College of Letters). His major was History and his Thesis was 'The County Court, 1066-1307. Source: University of California Register, Berkeley, 1912-13, University of California Press Berkeley, 1913.
1913 He also studied law at St. Ignatius College, before entering the real estate field in San Francisco. Source: Monterey Peninsula Herald, Jan 22, 1985.
May 3, 1913 Ford was listed as a graduate with the Delta Kappa Epsilon at the University of California, Berkeley. Source: The 1914 Blue And Gold of the University of California, Published by the Junior Class in 1913.

Byington Ford - University of California
May 14, 1913 Byington Ford was mentioned in a article about the University of California, Berkeley and their record number of diplomas. The article appeared under the heading "Master of Arts (College of Letters) as: A.R., Santa Clara college, 1910; A.B. (Bachelor of Arts) 1912, San Francisco. Source: The San Francisco Call., Page 4.
1914 Ford is pictured as one of the baseball varsity players at St. Ignatius College. Source: Scrapbook created by Byington Ford.
1915 Byington Ford was listed as an officer and director of the San Francisco Electric Railways company. His uncle, Lewis F. Byington was also listed as an officer and director. Head office was at the Crocker Building, San Francisco. Source: Walker's Manual of Western Corporations.
1916

Ford was Director of the Animated Film Corp. in San Francisco. His father, Tirey L. Ford, was president. The company produced animated cartoons long before Walt Disney. Byington worked with Benjamin "Tack" Knight and Pinto Colvig. The company made numerous popular short animated features and is credited with creating the first color cartoon in 1919.

The prospering endeavor ended, with the entry of the U.S. into World War I. Click on photo to see large size image of the Animated Cartoon film Company. Tack Knight moved to San Francisco in 1913. He attended the Mary Hopkins Institute of Art and began his newspaper career at the Oakland Tribune in 1914. He drew sports and commercial art, and did animated cartooning. Source: Comiclopedia website.

Film Company
Angle-Espoy, "Tack" Night, "Pinto" Colvig, By Ford
Animated Cartoon Film Corporation
1916 Ford was listed as "Ford Byington with Urban Realty Imp Co r 3800 Clay." His father and mother are listed as "Ford Tirey L (Emma) at 593 Market h 3800 Clay." Source: Fold3, City Directories for San Francisco, California.

Pin-tack-0
Animated Cartoons
June 27, 1916 It was announced that Byington ford was engaged to Miss Jean Wharton from Plainfield, New York. Miss Wharton spent the winter in California and was leaving to go back East. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 7.
August 14, 1916 Byington Ford was said to be "anticipating a visit next month from Miss Jean Wharton from Plainfield, N. J, whose engagement to Byington Ford was recently announced." Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 6.
October 22, 1916 Tirey L. Ford was host at a luncheon given at the Stewart Hotel for the Animated Cartoon Film Corporation. Artists, cartoonists and photographers were discussed and views exchanged. Among those present were Frederick Burgh, president of the corporation; Byington Ford, secretary and treasurer; C. E. Cleaveland, superintendent, and Seth Heney, manager. Source: San Francisco Chronicle, page 30.
June 1917

Byington Ford was listed at 995 Market Street with the Animated Cartoon Film Company and as Director and Officer for the San Francisco Electric Railways. His father, Tirey L. Ford, was listed at the Balboa Building with the Animated Cartoon Film Company, and the Sierra and San Francisco Power Company. Source: Walker's Manual of California Securities and Directory of Directors.

July 21, 1917 Ford was listed as one of the "Sons of Prominent Families" and engaged to Miss Jean Wharton visiting from New Jersey. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 2.
1917 Ford was listed as "Ford Byington L. genl mgr Animated Carton Film Corp. r 3800 Clay." His father and mother are listed as "Ford Tirey L (Emma) at 593 Market h 3800 Clay." Source: Fold3, City Directories for San Francisco, California.
November 15, 1917 Byington Ford was listed as a Private in the Roster Fortieth Division, Battery B. Source:  
1917 Byington Ford was listed in the Santa Clara College yearbook as 1st L., Field Artillery.  
1917-1918 Ford enlisted in the California National Guard and went to Officers Reserve Corps Training Camp at the Presidio of San Francisco where he was commissioned as Lieutenant, and went to France during World War I. He became Captain in the 26th "Yankee" Division. In France, he trained at the St.. Cyr Cavalry school. Source: World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918.


Captain Byington Ford
World War I

1918 An article titled: "Cartoon Concern Retires" said that "The Animated Cartoon Film Corporation, David Hewes building, has turned its contracts over to the Tam Slide Company and will retire from the field after June 1. Byington Ford, the active head of the concern is in France, and it is possible that upon his return the business may be resumed, as it was very successful previous to his departure. The Tam Slide Company plans to take over the quaters of the Animated Cartoon Film Corporation and to use the present equipment." Souce: The Moving Picture World, 1918.
February 11, 1918

While aboard the Tuscania en route to France, Ford's ship was torpedoed, however, he was rescued. An article entitled: "Attorney Ford Gets Word From Son Overseas". Byington's father, Tirey L. Ford, announced the rescue of his son First Lieutenant Byington Ford. "It was the happiest news I ever received in my life. We did not even know that he had started for France, but when we read that many of his friends in the field artillery were on the transport, we began to worry." Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 2.

May 24, 1918 Byington Ford were mentioned as one of three men who graduated at the head of a reserve officers' class of 600 men in training camp in France. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 8.
October 24, 1918 His parents received word that their son, Lieutenant Byington Ford, has been put in command of a battery in France. Byington was with the field artillery branch of the service and had been in action for several weeks. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 7.
December 21, 1918 Lieut. Byington Ford, of 3800 Clay St., San Francisco, was listed a "wounded severely". Source: San Luis Obispo Daily Telegram (San Luis Obispo, California) Page: 7
1918-1919

While in command of a battery of field artillery of the 26th Division, was severely wounded and gassed in the Meuse-Argonne offensive. He was placed in a base hospital near Bordeaux. He served as a battery commander in the 192d F.A., Toul Sector, until he was wounded. He was commissioned as 'Captain' with several decorations following his removal to the military hospital. Ford saw active service practically the whole time he was in France. Source: The California Monthly - Volume 11 - Page 293.

Feb. 8, 1919 Byington's sister (Relda) was married to Samuel F. B Morse - the great grandson and namesake of the inventor of the telegraph. Morse formed the Del Monte Properties Company and acquired those holdings, which included Del Monte Forest and the popular Hotel Del Monte (now the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey). The funding came from the Pacific Improvement Company.
  Ford once said, "Pacific Improvements built the Del Monte Hotel just so they'd have a place to run their train to." And once the hotel resort became the destination of the wealthy and famous, the Del Monte Express went back and forth from Monterey to the Bay Area. Source: The Big Sur Gazette: Return of Del Monte Express Seems Closer, August 1979.
Feb. 22, 1919 The grand opening of Pebble Beach Golf Links and the Del Monte Lodge.
March 10, 1919 Ford returned from France to Carmel, California. Source: San Francisco Chronicle; "Captain Byington Ford, Son of Tirey L. Ford, Among Men to Arrive"; The Redwood, Vol. 20, Santa Clara University Library.
August 2, 1919 Byington Ford was prominent in Polo matches as a summer visitor at Del Monte. Source: The WASP (July-Dec.), 1919.
June 21, 1919 Ford practiced polo at weekend matches at Hotel Del Monte to get ready for the July 4th tournament held at Del Monte. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 9
August 25, 1919 Ford played in the Del Monte Reds who scored 6 to 4/3/4 victory of the Whites in a polo match at Hotel Del Monte. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 9
October 18, 1919 Mrs. Samuel F. B. Morse (Relda Ford Scott) was very ill at a local sanitarium, but was convalescent. Source: The WASP (July-Dec.), 1919.
December 6, 1919 Byington Ford was at a dinner dance in the Palm Grill room at the Hotel Del Monte hosted by Mr. and Mrs. Samuel F. B. Morse. Source: The WASP (July-Dec.), 1919.
  Ford became a manager at the Del Monte Properties in Pebble Beach, heading their real estate department for twelve years. He rode horseback through the undeveloped parts of Del Monte Forest and later headed their Real Estate Department for 12 years.
January 12, 1920 The US Census lists Byington Ford (29) as an employee and living at the Hotel Del Monte in Monterey, California. Source: 1920 United States Federal Census.
April 11, 1920 At the end of the polo season, Byington Ford along with Mr. and Mrs. Samuel F.B. Morse entertained at a dinner in Pebble Beach, near Del Monte Lodge. Source: The San Francisco Chronicle.
October 26, 1920 An announcement was published of the engagement of Miss Marion Boisot of Chicago, and Byington Ford. They set November 17 as the date for the wedding. Ford was said to be manager of the Pebble Beach properties for the Del Monte Properties Company. Source: Chicago Daily Tribune; San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 45.

By Ford & Marion Boisot Wedding
November 17, 1920
November 13, 1920 Mr. and Mrs. Boisot came to Pebble Beach from Chicago and leased the Karmany house for the winter in preparation for their daughters marriage to Byington Ford. Source: The WASP (July-Dec.), 1920.
November 17, 1920 Byington married Marion Boisot at the Pebble Beach Lodge in Pebble Beach, California. The couple took a motor tour through the Southern California on their honeymoon. They made their home at the Hotel Del Monte. Source: The Redwood, Vol. 20; San Francisco Chronicle Page: 11
November 20, 1920 Samuel F. B. Morse gave a luncheon at the Del Monte golf clubhouse in honor of his brother-in-law, Byington Ford, and Miss Marion Boisot. Source: San Francisco Chronicle, Page: 14.
November 27, 1920 An article talks about Byington Ford, his bride, and parents. The Fords intend living in Pebble Beach. Source: The WASP (July-Dec.), 1920.
December 18, 1920 Under the title "Society at Del Monte" talk about Mr. and Mrs. Byington Ford making their home at Hotel Del Monte. Mr. and Mrs. Tirey L. For have been residing at Hotel Del Monte for the past two months. Source: The WASP (July-Dec.), 1920.
January 26, 1921 Mr. and Mrs. Samuel F. B. Morse entertained a party in the Palm Grill at the Hotel del Monte on Friday evening. Among those at dinner, with dancing were, Mr. and Mrs. Byington Ford. Source: The San Francisco Chronicle.
Feb. 18, 1921 Pinto writes about starting up a company called the "Pinto Cartoon Comedies". Byington Ford, Pinto and Boothwick each owned 20% and Mr. Boisot, of Pasadena, owns 15%. Morse and two others own the rest of the stock. Source: Letter by Pinto.
March 17, 1921 Byington's mother was sent messages of sympathy to her room at the Adler Sanatorium where she was seriously ill. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 10
June 12, 1921 Byington mother, Mrs. Emma Byington Ford died on June 10, 1921 at the family home at 2800 Jackson Street. Funeral services were at their son Byington's home at 3860 Clay Street and proceed to St. Edwards's Church on California Street, between Walnut and Laurel Street. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 9.
August 22, 1921 Mary Jane Ford was born in San Francisco, California. Several newspaper articles announced the congratulations on the birth of a daughter. Source: California Birth Index; San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 45.
September 1, 1921 Byington wrote a humorous letter to Mary Jane, when she was just a baby, which showed a nurse acting surprised about a baby wanting some real food. The caption read: "Say, what I need is some ham an' eggs an' some sauerkraut! Gimme some real food. Source: Letter written on Del Monte Properties Company stationary with Byington Ford as Manager Pebble Beach Properties. Source: Typed letter with cartoon illustration by Byington Ford.
December 15, 1921 It was announced that Mr. and Mrs. Louis M. Boisot came up from Pasadena to visit their sister Mrs. Byington Ford (Marion Ford) at their home at Del Monte. Mr. and Mrs Ford have named their baby daughter Mary Jane Ford. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 14.
March 26, 1922 Mr. and Mrs. Byington Ford went over plans for the building of their home at Pebble Beach. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 51.
House
Byington Ford House - 1922
1922 Mr. and Mrs. E. K. Boisot from Pasadena, were at the Del Monte Hotel for a month visit. They spent much of their time with their daughter, whose home at Pebble Beach was almost completed. Source: The Argonaut, Vol. 90-91, 1922, Calif, San Francisco.
June 17, 1922 The Carmel Woods in north Carmel, was offered by the Del Monte Properties Company. It was a tract of twenty-five acres, divided into 119 building lots of a unit size of 40x100 feet. Byington Ford was manager of the subdivision. Some of the lots were offered for $350 each. Source: San Francisco Chronicle, Page: 8.
  Ford began development of the Carmel Mission Tract.
October 1, 1922 The Byington Ford House is located on 17-Mile Drive in Pebble Beach, which faces the first green of the golf course, was constructed by Bernard R. Maybeck. The home was of Spanish Colonial Revival design. Source: Bernard Maybeck Web site; San Francisco Chronicle, Page 48.

X-Mas Card, By Ford - 1922
March 1923 Byington Ford was listed as a semifinalists in the Pebble Beach Gold Vase Golf Championships. Source: Pebble Beach: The Official Golf History, Neal Hotelling - 2009.
May 17, 1923 Patricia Reid Ford was born in San Francisco, California. Source: California Birth Index.
1924 Captain and Mrs. Byington Ford were listed as living on 3800 Clay (Pacific 1690) and Del Monte, Cal. His father, Mr. Tirey L., Ford was listed as living at the Balboa Bldg., 593 Market (Tel. Douglas 380). Source: San Francisco Blue Book Directory, 1924.  
1924 Byington Ford, Roger Lapham, and Marion Hollins (the United States Women's Amateur champion in 1921) formed a syndicate that purchased 170 acres from the del Monte Properties for $150.000. The land was used to create a special golf club called Cypress Point and private homes. Source: My Three Ideal Courses, Golf Digest, by Herbert Warren Wind, October 26, 2008; Routing the Golf Course: The Art & Science That Forms the Golf Journey by Forrest L. Richardson - 2002    
February 19, 1925 Byington Ford appeard on a membership list of the 68 charter members of the Monterey Peninsula Country Club. Source: The First Fifty Years 1925-1975.    
December 4, 1926 Audrey Ford was born in San Francisco, California. The event appeared in the SF paper, which said the couple are being congratulated upon the birth of a daughter, which occurred at Dante Sanatorium on December 4. Source: California Birth Index; San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 8

X-Mas Card, By Ford - 1928
1927 Ford, Mr. and Mrs. Byington and Marion Boisot were listed in the SF Social Register. There address was listed as Pebble Beach. Source: San Francisco Social Register 1927.
February 16, 1927 Jo Mora played the leading part in "the Bad Man" assisted by Ruth Austin, Byington Ford and other actors. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 10
August 11, 1927 Ford directed the production of "The Carmel Follies" at the Hotel del Monte Grill, which was put on by the Carmel and Pebble Beach society. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA) Page: 8.
September 15, 1927 Ford was active for years as a baseball player and coach in the Peninsula's old Abalone League with other pioneers such as Samuel F.B. Morse and author Jimmy Hopper. Received a certificate as a Abalone League class 'A' membership. Source: Abalone League Certificate.
1928

To raise money for a league diamond, he staged plays at the Carmel Arts and Crafts Theater, recognized today as The Golden Bough. He was the leading man in the play "The Copperhead" at the Carmel playhouse. He acted in, directed, or wrote more than 45 plays at the Carmel Arts and Crafts Theater.

baseball
Byington Ford with Abalone League Shamrocks - 1930
June 26, 1928 His father, Tirey L. Ford, died of a heart attack, in bed after he had ordered breakfast sent up to his room, at the Pacific Union Club in San Francisco. Source: S. F. Newspaper.
February 12, 1929 Tirey L. Ford gave a dinner at their home in Pebble Beach for his brother, Tirey L. Ford and Elizabeth Foster in celebration of their recent marriage. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, California) Page: 10
1930 US Federal Census lists Byington Ford (39), Marion B. (32), Mary Jane (8), Patricia (6), and Audrey (3) living in Pebble Beach, Monterey, California. Source: 1930 United States Federal Census.
1931 He formed and owned the Carmel Realty Company, still a major force in the city today. Source: CARMEL VALLEY HISTORIC AIRPARK SOCIETY Web site; Selected letters of Langston Hughes, 2015.

Byington Ford
1930's Byington bought a 400 acre ranch in Carmel Valley, California from Frank Porter who had bought a portion of the Marian Hollins Ranch. Source: Monterey County The Dramatic Story of Its Past, Monterey Bay, Big Sur, Carmel, Salinas Valley”, by Agusta Fink, 1972. Western Tanager Press/Valley Publishers, San Francisco, page 202.
1932 Listed as "FORD, Mr. & Mrs. Byington (Marion BOISOT), Pebble Beach, Cal." Source: Social Register, San Francisco, California, 1932, Vol., XLVI, No. 9.
June 16, 1934 Directed a Douglas school play called "Inchling" in which Mary Jane (lead), Pat (one of the two 'nerds', and Audrey Ford (danced) were in. Source: San Francisco Chronicle, Page: 19.
June 14, 1935 Marion was granted a divorce from Byington on the grounds of extreme cruelty. Mrs. Ford was awarded custody of her children. A property settlement was incorporated in the divorce. Source: San Francisco Chronicle (San Francisco, CA) Page: 15.
August 25, 1935

Byington Ford acted as Father Serra in the play "The Apostle of California." The play was about the early California's days under Spanish rule. It was re-created at the Carmel Mission commemorating the 151st anniversary of the death of Father Junípero Serra, Franciscan priest who founded the California missions. Source: Historic Images Inc., 1935 Press Photo Byington Ford and Hildreth Masten in Carmel Mission Play.

July 2, 1936 There was a letter from Byington Ford, Carmel Realty Company, to Harper Knowles. Source: Box 2, p. 6354, Alien Exhibit 108, Harvard Law School Library, Harvard University.
  Byington Ford was a former mayor of Carmel. Source: My Three Ideal Courses, Golf Digest, by Herbert Warren Wind, October 26, 2008; The World Atlas of Golf Courses - Page 52, Bob Ferrier - 1990
December 2, 1938 Ford presented to the city council the purchase of the El Paseo building on Dolores Street in Carmel for the City Hall. Source: http://www.pineconearchive.com/131129PCGG.pdf
Feb 23, 1939 Ford married his 2nd wife, Ruth Austin Arlen. He moved to Dolores Street and Santa Lucia in Carmel, California with wife Ruth.

Ford at Airpark

Late 1930's In the late 1930s, Byington Ford bought the northeast corner of Rancho Las Laureles in Carmel Valley to establish an airpark. He was convinced that mass production of small aircraft would put a plane within the reach of anyone who could afford a car. He and his brother Tirey, developed the Carmel Valley Airport for pilot-owners who would want to be at home a minute or two after getting out of their plane. His brother Tirey built a prototype hangar house off Ford Road. During this time Larry Sweeney taught Byington how to fly and he got his first pilot's license. Source: CARMEL VALLEY HISTORIC AIRPARK SOCIETY.
April 2, 1940 US Federal Census lists Byington Ford (48) Real Estate Agent, Ruth A. (41), Roe Marie A (18) living in Santa Lucia Avenue, Carmel, Monterey, California. Source: 1940; Census Place: Monterey, Monterey, California; Roll: T627_268; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 27-36.

Byington Ford

1941 The Western Flying magazine had an article that wrote: "Monterey Airport has recently changed management, and is now operated by the Del Monte Aviation Corporation, of which Tlrey L. Ford, Jr.is President, Byington Ford Vice President, and Larry Sweeney Secretary-Treasurer. Source: Western Flying - Volume 21, Issues 1-6 - Page 72.
December 7, 1941

The grand opening of Airway Ranch was on the same day as the attack on Pearl Harbor. The project was put on hold while Byington Ford joined the Army Air Corps to aid the war effort. The family name remains in the form of Ford Road, the street that borders part of the airstrip. Source: CARMEL VALLEY HISTORIC AIRPARK SOCIETY.

1942 Ford enlisted in the Air force during World War II and became a Lieutenant Colonel. Established the 1st woman's' MP at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio. His daughter, Mary Jane, also served in the war. Source: Conversation with Audrey Cordrey.

Byington & Mary Jane Ford
(When she was awarded the soldier's mdedal for resuing a drowning man)

  Following the War, Ford combined sales to plane owners with sales to home seekers, which included ranch-house sites of 1-3 acres. Source: Paul Freeman's Web site.
February 3, 1944 Ford was mentioned as nephew of Lewis F. Byington who died in May 1943. A Will names Ford and the surviving brother (Frank J. Byington) as executors with 14 heirs, all residents of California. Source: Reno Evening Gazette.
1946-1947

Byington and Tirey Ford Jr., developed the Carmel Valley Village and Airway Market, first known as the General Store, a barber shop, a drug store and soda fountain, a beauty shop, and a liquor store. All were in walking distance of the Airpark and decorated to resemble a Mexican village. The village is about 12 miles from the mouth of Carmel Valley. Today the village is a busy place and has grown fast in recent years. Source: Monterey County California Regional Guide


Byington's Sketch Book
1949 The State of California licensed the airport in 1949. Byington Ford retired a few years later, and the airpark was purchased by Peter Delfino.
July 1955 Byington continued his love for cartoons and wrote a sketch book called A Cartoon Sketch Book For Beginners. Source: Books and Pamphlets Including Serials and Contributions to Periodicals.
Sept. 24, 1970 The Carmel Pine Cone newspaper wrote an article about "The fabulous career of Byington Ford." Source: Sept. 24, 1970 Carmel Pine Cone.
  He and his wife, Ruth, who was a key figure in local projects to help children with learning disabilities, made their home at the Carmel Valley Golf and Country Club until they moved to Southern California. Source: Monterey Peninsula Herald, Jan 22, 1985.
November 24, 1970 Mrs. Byington (Ruth) Ford accepted the Woman of the Year memory book from Mrs. Meiswinkel, Monterey-Pacific Grove Quota Clude president. Her proud husband, "By" Ford, was also there. Source: Monterey Peninsula Herald Newspaper.
1970 At 80, he was still playing golf at the Carmel Valley Golf & Country Club.
1980's Ford and Ruth move to Ventura, California.

Carmel Valley Vintage Airpark
January 19, 1985 At age 94, died of Pancreatic cancer at his home in Ventura, California. Source: California Death Index and Social Security Death Index.
1985 Ford's daughters drove down for the funeral in Ventura, California. He was cremated under the direction of the Neptune Society. Memorial contributions wen to the Hospice of the Monterey Peninsula. Source: Monterey Peninsula Herald, Jan 22, 1985.
November 3, 2000 The California Historical Resources Commission voted unanimously to nominate Carmel Valley Vintage Airpark as a State Historic Resource. The Commission found that development of CVVA by Byington Ford in 1941 was significant in that it represented the first airpark in the US and the world!


Last update: Monday, January 23, 2017